Author Topic: LR plant vs RL plant?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline jumper

• Senior Athlete
  • Just signed up!
    • View Profile
LR plant vs RL plant?
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:09:53 AM »
have been using a RL plant for quite a while now. i experimented with the LR plant yesterday and it felt a lot more effortless than the RL plant. it just felt a lot more "bouncy", whereas i have to muster up more strength for my RL take off. through further analysis, i found out that my right leg is stronger than my left, but my left leg is more explosive than my right, which makes sense because i jump off my leg for a single leg jump. even though i've barely ever used a LR plant, i surprised myself with how high i got up with it. it was only like an inch or two lower than my RL plant, which i've put a lot of practice into. anyway, do you have any feedback or comments on this? thanks.

Offline Coach Robert Ruxandrescu

• Admin
  • World Class Athlete
  • Coaching Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Insane Athletics
Re: LR plant vs RL plant?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 11:23:56 AM »
In volleyball they always teach them to jump RL - right hand and LR - left hand, so that they can attack the ball better. It also allows you to open up your hips better.

But we, as basketball players, tend to defend in a LR-right hand position, tend to shoot with a LR-right hand stance and so on. So, the tendency is to use a LR plant, usually (this is not a rule or anything).
Here to help you

Offline jumper

• Senior Athlete
  • Just signed up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:17:03 PM »
ah, i see. well, i'll keep trying out this LR plant out even though i'm right handed. right now i checked, and i can get up equally as high with both, even though i never practice LR. kinda nice that i tried it out today, cause now i know i can plant both ways, but i actually really like LR now, its very quick and explosive. and yea, it was a volleyball player that told me to jump RL years ago, even though i was a basketball player. anyway, for dunking right handed which plant should be better? and i assume if i go with both hands(which i cant do yet on 9'5) that it will be the same?

• Admin
  • World Class Athlete
  • Coaching Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Insane Athletics
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 01:20:16 PM »
The plant that you're naturally good at. It's usually the same plant as how you stand on a skateboard, as how you put your leg forward if someone pushes you from behind without you knowing it, as how you naturally jump up for rebounds without thinking during the game, as how you drop-off into a depth jump and so on.
Here to help you

• Admin
  • World Class Athlete
  • Coaching Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Insane Athletics
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:43:03 PM »
Well, we would be easier to compare :P
Here to help you

Offline jumper

• Senior Athlete
  • Just signed up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 04:32:02 AM »
am naturally a LR plant jumper i guess. i plant on my scooter with my left, and push off with my right, i kick stuff with my right, if i were to push against something, i would go left foot forward. i guess my RL jumping was pretty unnatural, and it had to be learned.

Insane Athletics

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 04:32:02 AM »