Author Topic: dunker analysis  (Read 2664 times)

Offline jumper

• Senior Athlete
  • Just signed up!
    • View Profile
dunker analysis
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_fXSkTxCjA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_fXSkTxCjA</a>

this dunker is able to dunk off a stand still, but his dunks off of a running start don't seem to be that great. tre from kickgenius, who is also a double leg jumper can get his head near the rim on a running dunk, but even he is still unable to do a dunk from a standstill. im guessing he is a perfect example of the "western athlete" from one of your articles? he also has a lot of videos of him in the weight room, which suggests that he is probably very strong, but isn't very good with his rate of force development.

Offline Coach Robert Ruxandrescu

• Admin
  • World Class Athlete
  • Coaching Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Insane Athletics
Re: dunker analysis
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »
It really is a matter of structure, strength and tendon involvement.

Someone with the structure to jump well off a standing vert and with the right strength levels and explosive ability will dunk from a standstill better. Think an Olympic lifter.

Someone with the structure to jump well of a running jump and with the right tendon stiffness will dunk from a running jump better, and will even subconsciously do a mini-hop when you ask him to do a standing jump.
Here to help you

Offline jumper

• Senior Athlete
  • Just signed up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »
oh i see. back in my highschool days before i started squatting, i could ever so slightly graze the rim off a double leg jump at like 5'9/10, weighing 115 lbs soaking wet lol. i remember never doing any standing jumps because i knew i sucked at them. now, after gaining weight and squatting my standing vertical is a lot better, and of course my running vert is better. you think i naturally had the proper structure for having a high running jump? i actually hated my body structure when i was younger too. i remember my shorts would be way too high up because of my highwaist and long legs, and i thought it made me look like a nerd lol.

• Admin
  • World Class Athlete
  • Coaching Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Insane Athletics
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »
I think you find out as a young guy what your structure tells you to be.

For example, when I jumped for the first time EVER to a basketball rim I naturally chose a one leg jump. I didn't know you "could" jump off two legs.

So my body automatically chose the "best" way for me to get the highest possible.

This doesn't have to be a set in stone rule, as you learn new movements and perfect them, but still, it's something to think about.
Here to help you

Offline jumper

• Senior Athlete
  • Just signed up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:40:32 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StIEfcDSIPM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StIEfcDSIPM</a>

what do you think about this dunker coach? he's only 5'10 and dunks with ease off of one leg. he's said that he doesn't lift or do anything other than practice dunking.

• Admin
  • World Class Athlete
  • Coaching Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • Insane Athletics
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 12:45:57 AM »
Honestly, he looks like he has good posterior chain strength... but those cumbersome shoes limit his ankle extension in my opinion... and possibly limit his "bounce" (read - reactive ability or tendon contributions).
Here to help you

Insane Athletics

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 12:45:57 AM »